Property Owner FAQs
How do I get started?
After we have received a signed copy of the Property Management Agreement we will add your property to our powerful marketing system. When a potential renter is interested in your property they will be given an application and we will start our application process, which includes a Credit Check, Current Employment Verification, Past Rental History, and a Criminal Background Check.
Once the applicant passes our thorough screening process we will ask them to sign a lease with us for one year, unless you have instructed us a shorter term is agreeable. The security deposit will be paid at the time of the lease signing and applicable pet fees are due at the lease start date. The pet fee will be mailed to you with the first month’s rent proceeds to cover professional carpet cleaning, deodorizing, and flea treatment (if applicable) at the end of the tenant’s lease.
The tenant’s security deposit is typically equal to one month’s rent and will be held in an escrow account, pursuant Georgia Real Estate Law. At the end of the lease and per our move out inspection, the security deposit will be reissued to the tenant, minus any damages beyond normal wear and tear, pet-related damages, etc. The escrow account is managed under STRICT Georgia Real Estate Commission guidelines. Pet fees are non-refundable and usually $250 per animal with no more than two, unless otherwise agreed upon.
When is the tenant’s rent due and how is it collected?
- All rent is due by the 1st of the month and we strongly encourage all tenants to pay online.
- Rent is considered late on the 5th. A $50.00 late fee will be assessed after the 5th.
- A delinquency statement is mailed out on the 6th to any tenant who has an outstanding balance. Their file may also be turned over to an attorney who will then send a 7-day Notice to Vacate letter, pursuant to Georgia law, which tells the tenant what needs to be done to bring their account back to a current status and avoid eviction.
- To avoid the bouncing of checks for late rent, we do not accept any personal checks from tenants after the 5th of the month.
- If rent is still unpaid by the 15th, eviction papers will be filed on or shortly after the 20th. You will be contacted before any papers are filed with the courts. A court date will be set approximately one week after the papers are filed. It is NOT necessary for you, the owner, to be present in court. We will take care of the proceedings for you. If eviction is awarded, the tenant will be ordered to vacate the property approximately 10 days from the court date. If the tenant does not vacate at that time, we will file a writ of possession, which will be delivered by the Sheriff’s office. If the tenant does not vacate within 10 days of the writ, we will accompany a Sheriff’s Deputy to the property on the 10th day to remove the tenant from the house and subsequently change the locks.
How much do you charge tenants for security deposits?
The typical security deposit charged to tenants is the equivalent to one month’s rent; however, each individual owner whose property is managed by Mega Agent Rental Management Macon LLC may require more than one month’s rent as a security deposit.
How will I know if my tenant chooses to renew their lease?
You will be contacted about a lease renewal approximately 45 days before your tenant’s lease expires. It is then that you can determine if you still want to rent out your property and/or if you desire to increase rent. With your permission, a lease renewal letter will then be mailed to your tenant giving them the option to renew for one year, on a month-to-month lease (if you allow), or to give their 30-day required notice of move out. If your tenant chooses to renew their lease, you will be mailed a copy of the renewal. If the tenant chooses to go month-to-month, you will be contacted for approval. If the tenant gives their move out notice, you will receive a letter letting you know when they plan to move.
What will happen when my tenant moves out?
A final inspection is conducted when a tenant moves out to determine if any charges need to be withheld from the tenant’s security deposit. We will assess any necessary turnover repairs, if any, and will report the findings to you to make the property ready to re-rent quickly. If funds are withheld from the tenant’s deposit, they will be transferred out of our tenant security deposit escrow account into the owner’s rental account to be used toward outstanding bills.
When can I expect to receive my rent check and statements?
Owner statements are mailed out on the 10th & 11th of each month. If the 11th falls on a holiday weekend, we will mail checks out the next possible business day. Any rental proceeds, plus any late fee collected after the 5th, will be mailed to you in a second mailing on or close to the 20th of each month. This will include any pro-rated rent from tenants moving in or out. If your tenant has not paid rent by the 5th you will still receive your monthly statement, but it will not include any funds at that time. You will not be charged a management fee until rent is received.
Will I still get statements if/when my property is vacant?
You will still receive a monthly statement if your property is vacant. It will include any outstanding bills that cannot be covered by funds in your reserve account, if applicable. Please send payment for these bills immediately, so that our vendors can be paid in a timely manner. You will receive copies of all work orders in your monthly statement when the bill is paid.
What other services do you offer that I can take advantage of?
Mega Agent Rental Management Macon GA is determined to make your life a little easier. In efforts to accomplish that, we do offer some additional services. If you pay homeowners’ dues for the property we manage, we can pay them directly for you out of your rental account. All that is required is either your HOA coupon book, or the necessary account information. However, if your tenants pay their rent late it may make payments late. We highly recommend saving at least one to two months worth of payments to protect you against this possibility. This is also a good action to take to prepare for if/when properties become vacant, the market is slow, or for emergency funds. If you live out of state or out of country, we can also directly deposit your monthly proceeds directly into your bank account. You will still receive your monthly statements in the mail or you can opt to have statements emailed, but your check will be deposited into the bank account you provide. All that is needed is a deposit slip and/or mailing address of the bank.
We hope that this system will reduce the time it takes to forward your rental proceeds and cut down on any possible confusion your owner statements may bring. If you ever have any questions or concerns about your monthly statements or how our accounting process works, please contact us at (478) 960-7675.